Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Watts Victory Garden

Some of you may know that I am trying to return to the basics, trying to live a more "old fashioned" lifestyle if you will. Moving here forced us to take stock and really cut back where we could. Not only monetarily, but in other ways. I have awaken to the fact that we have way too much stuff, and too many distractions that don't add anything, and often detract from, our family.

So that being said, I have started looking for ways to become more self-sustained as a family. We not longer eat out, we've taught the kids about needs vs. wants, I make all of our bread, I am trying to learn to sew (not going well!) One of the skills I really want to learn is gardening. Eventually I'd like to grow a good percentage of our food. (I have a 5 and 10 year plan!) To learn the nut and bolts of real farming/gardening, I plan to volunteer at a farm co-op in the fall when Jack starts pre-school, but in the meantime we made a few small beds in our backyard and started a little garden for ourselves.

It has been really fun for the kids–they love peas! In fact I can't ever collect any because they go out there every single day and eat what they can find. We have had limited success, but we will keep working at it. It has been a learning experience. Here is a little slideshow.


1 comment:

lacy said...

Yet again, Chels, you never cease to amaze. You are so meant to be living in the olden days...except for maybe your rockin' photoshop skills.