Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pandora Sphinx Moth














Check out this awesome moth Jack found at AJ's school yesterday. I looked around online and identified it as a Pandora Sphinx moth. It looked just like hunting camo. Super cool and beautiful. We kept it in our terrarium all day so the kids could show it off to all their neighborhood friends, then let it go in the evening. I hope it lays its eggs close, I'd love to see more of them.

In other butterfly/moth news, we've got quite a menagerie of caterpillars right now. We've got a monarch, 3 viceroy, 1 swallowtail and 4 huge cecropia moth caterpillars. I'll post on those soon–they are amazing.

But I thought this guy was worthy of a shout out. LOVE the bugs here (most of them anyway. The Cicada Wasps are one of the creepiest things I have ever seen! And we could certainly do without the fire ants.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Houston, Texas. While out in my backyard, surveying the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, I saw this fantastic "army green" moth hanging from the brick around my garage door. Over the next few hours, the pattern changed to a brownish-green camoflage pattern. Amazing! He was gone this morning when I went out to check on him. I wish him well. Cpd