Thursday, October 25, 2007

Moon Picnic

I saw on the news that Thursday night the full moon was going to be the closest to the earth (due to the elliptical orbit) for the year. I'm not sure if this is true of the whole country, or just here. You should definitely check it out–it was very cool.

And lately AJ has been telling me that Kevin's family has "moon cakes" on full moons. So I looked into moon cakes and they are a Chinese tradition having to do with the Chinese new year (I believe Kevin is Chinese). So I thought this would be a good time for our own version.

I made big, round sugar cookies (moon cakes) and we got a blanket and set up outside to watch the moon rise. We were soon joined by a neighbor family of ours, so we all had a little moon picnic together. It turned out to be a really fun thing–probably a new tradition of ours.

No comments: